Thursday, January 7, 2010

Last week, Shane went for his 3 month scans.

When the report came back, it said that there was some growth on the left side of Shane's upper chest and arm pit. Obviously we were concerned. Today we to Penn and met with his oncologist. First of all, she had not read his CT scans only the report. I told her we were not happy with that and questioned why she never reads the scans when we come see her, as I always send them down to her prior to our visit. She gave us some excuse as to most patients usually bring scans to their appointments, and I told her we are not most patients. I hope she got the hint that she better have the scans read from here on out when we come down for future visits.

Anyway, as I said she did read the report and was not very concerned with Shane's growth. The one tumor that grew the most was under his left armpit and that is not a dangerous part of the body. So now the doctor is going to compare the scans to the scans taken in October and his initial scans from 2008 and see if she thinks there is a 20% growth. If she feels that there is 20% then she will submit the scans to the drug company that is conducting the clinical drug trial. They are the ones that make the final decision. So now we wait again. We will not know anything more until the end of next week the earliest. Just a little update.
Until then...

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Its been a long time since my last update.

Our last dr's appt was in June. At that time the dr told us to enjoy our summer, we took her advice and had a great summer!
As summer came to an end, I knew that soon we would be going through the cycle of scans, waiting, and then the oncologist visit. As much as we are staying positive, the what ifs were beginning to creep in.
Friday of last week and this Tuesday, Shane had his scans. Ofcourse, the waiting is always a little tense!
Today, after waiting 3 hrs we met with the oncologist. She didn't actually look at the scans, but read the report from the radiologist and there is minimal to no growth. This is such wonderful news. Better than we imagined! So now we wait another 3 months and go through the cycle again.
Meanwhile, Shane is feeling great and more positive than ever.
As for the kids, they are great. Ethan's voice is completely back to normal and he totally adjusted to life without his thyroid.
Dani will have an ultrasound this winter along with bloodwork to make sure that there is no indication of cancer in her. We don't expect there to be, I just want to be extra cautious. Her surgery is still slated for the spring.
Thank you again to our family and friends for your never ending love and support!!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

After waiting over 2 weeks and enduring 2 scans, we found out tonight that Shane does not qualify for the drug trial.

This is a very good thing!! It is just a shame that we had to waste our time, energy and emotions over this situation which could have been handled much more professionally. It seems not only did Penn drop the ball, but the drug company who is conducting the study, was dragging their feet getting back to us with an answer. Now, we can enjoy our summer with our children and in September we will go back to the doctor and revisit the drug trial option once again. Thank you all for the love and support we really appreciate it!!

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Today we were supposed to be at Penn to start the clinical trial, we did not go.

It is a very long story, but the long and the short of it is, is that Penn dropped the ball in many different areas. They did not have all of their information gathered at the same time, which required me to have to do a lot of scrambling . We do have appointments set up for next week. I am not sure if we are keeping them or not. There is a possibility that Shane really does not qualify for the clinical trial. Which is a good thing. We will have more information in the beginning of next week. For now, Shane and I are going to enjoy our weekend getaway in Washington D.C.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

I know I haven't posted in a while. I think I needed a break from everything.

It seemed that everything hit our family at once and when things slowed down after Ethan's surgery, we took the opportunity to relax and just be.

That being said, Ethan is healing beautifully from his surgery. He bounced back quickly, his smiles, spirit, and spunk returned as soon as we got home. Ethan's voice is slowly returning. The doctor said it could take up to 6 months for it to fully return. he keeps asking Shane and me when he can scream again, it is very cute.

Today, Shane and I went down to Penn to meet with the oncologist. It seems that Shane meets the criteria for the clinical trial she is conducting. We actually thought that he might start today, but because of lack of communication on their part, he won't be starting until next week.

This is a placebo controlled clinical trial study, which means that 2 out of 3 patients will receive the actual drug and 1 out of 3 will get a placebo. Obviously we are hoping that he will be getting the drug. We won't know for sure for maybe a month or 2. There are some side effects of the drug that may or may not develop. We just have to be aware and know what to expect. During this clinical trial, Shane will be closely monitored by his oncologist at Penn. Scans will be done every 2-3 months to determine 1, if the tumors are shrinking and 2, if he actually is getting the drug or placebo.

We are still trying to absorb all of this information. It is a lot to take in. We will be spending a lot of time down at Penn while they monitor Shane through the study. This is a new chapter for us in this fight and we are ready!

On August 23rd, I will be running/walking with Team Frankel in the Livestrong Challenge. It is a 5k run/walk to support those living/fighting cancer. If you wish to donate, please go tophilly09.livestrong.org/teamfrankel33 and look for Team Frankel.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ethan is home!!!!

Last night we came home from CHOP. We thought it would be this morning but we got a very nice surprise. Ethan is doing great!! He has no pain and the bruising on his neck is going away. He does have strips across the incision and they will either fall off on their own or when we go back for a follow up, the ENT will remove them.


The hospital stay wasn't too bad. We both got very little sleep, doctors and nurses coming into the room frequently. Ethan was very weepy during our time there. He was upset about all of the tubes and wires and desperately wanted to be home with Dani and Shane. I tried all my tricks to get him to play a game, color or even play his beloved DS. He wanted no parts of anything. We went for a couple walks around the floor and went to the playroom for a little while. He was very quiet and withdrawn. Anyone who knows Ethan, knows that he is vibrant and full of life. It was very upsetting seeing him that way.


As soon he he was told about going home, he perked up. We packed all of his belongings and new presents and came home around 6:30 last night. Ethan's spirit was returning. It was so precious watching Dani and Ethan see each other for the first time. They ran to each other and gave big hugs. It was very sweet. Now we are at home relaxing and happy.


During the surgery, Ethan's nerve to his left vocal cord became strained. We don't believe that this is permanent. His voice is softer and a couple octaves higher.


We thank everyone for their love and support. It means the world to us. I am so grateful that this is over. It wasn't easy for Shane and me to see Ethan go through this, but I know it was the only choice and now we will not have to worry about him getting MTC.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Ethan's surgery

Ethan is done with surgery and is in recovery. Surgery went as well as it could. They found a lot of lymph nodes that they sent to be tested, but don't suspect that they'll be anything. One of his nerves leading to his voice box was stretched and that it their only potential concern that he could end up with a hoarse voice at the end of the day. Thank you for all of your thoughts and wishes.